If your makeup station is in the bedroom, or wherever, you might have been subject to carpet staining. It happens to the best of us. What is not ideal is the fact that makeup nowadays, is the worst possible thing to clean.
Anyways, it does happen quite often and the best thing to do is make sure it doesn’t happen anymore. But if the damage is already done, there are a couple of methods to clean off makeup from carpets.
We’ll go through a few different techniques for a few different cosmetics.
Navigate to the particular cosmetic you want to clean off using the table of contents below.
Note: Whatbrandreview is reader-supported. When you buy through affiliate links on our website, we’ll make a small commission, without impacting your price. Thank you. Learn more.
Cleaning Eyeliner From A Carpet
This is possibly amongst the worst ones to clean off. And, I’m not talking about eyeliner pencils, but rather, liquid eyeliner. At some point we all had that liquid eyeliner spill in amazing fashion on the carpet.
To clean this, you will need: vinegar, warm water and microfiber towels.
What you need to do is:
- Fill up half a cup of warm water, and put one and a half tablespoon of vinegar.
- Grab a microfiber towel and dip it in the cup.
- Start scrubbing the affected area, and fold the cloth regularly.
- Rinse and repeat until the eyeliner is out of the carpet.
- Grab a new microfiber towel and dip it in water.
- Scrub the area so that the vinegar solution is cleaned.
- Let it airdry.
It will be perfect if you have a powder dish soap like Blueland to sprinkle on the area with a little bit of water. It will just help with the vinegar smell, and will remove the rest of the eyeliner stains.
Foundation isn’t as bad as eyeliner, but you’ll still need to act quick when that bottle get yeeted off the table. What you need for this cleaning method is: spoon, water, paper towels, dish soap, and a vacuum.
If the spill is older, skip the first couple of steps. If it’s a fresh one, follow all of the steps below to clean foundation:
- Grab the spoon and start collecting the spilled foundation. Dump it to the side on some paper towels. It’s hard to remove all of it, but do the best you can just so that foundation doesn’t spread and create a bigger stain.
- Take a cup of water, preferably cold and mix in a couple of droplets of dish soap. Mix it up.
- Grab some paper towels and dab them in the solution.
- Start gently dabbing the stain from the outside it. Apply as little force as possible to avoid the foundation working itself in the carpet.
- Regularly dab the towel inside of the solution and gently dab the affected area from the outside in.
- Get a clean cup of water and a microfiber tower. Dab it in the water, then dab the affected area so that all of the soapy mixture gets cleaned.
- Let it airdry and then use a vacuum on the affected area.
Cleaning A Mascara Stain
Mascara is also a tough one to clean off, much like the eyeliner. The things that you will need if you have a mascara stain on your carpet are: water, microfiber towel, and eye makeup remover.
Do the following:
- Put some eye makeup remover on a microfiber towel.
- Start dabbing the affected area gently from the outside in.
- Repeat this until necessary, at which point you can get a fresh microfiber towel.
- Apply some makeup remover to it and some water, and dab the carpet spot affected.
- Let it airdry.
We’ve come to the worst possible stainer- eyeshadow. This is due to the fact that most modern eyeshadow will have some sort of oil in it. Great for makeup, not great if you’re trying to clean it off a carpet.
That’s why you need hydrogen peroxide, microfiber towels, and water.
IMPORTANT: Hydrogen Peroxide may cause some discoloration to your carpet, especially if it has a darker color. Hydrogen Peroxide has bleaching effects.
Here is what you need to do to clean eyeshadow:
- Grab the bottle of hydrogen peroxide and put a tiny amount (a few drops) on the affected area of the carpet.
- Leave it like that for a couple of minutes.
- Get a dry towel and start dabbing the area gently. Don’t scrub or dab to hard as it might cause the eyeshadow to get into the carpet’s fibers.
- Once it is sufficiently cleaned off, grab another towel and dip it in water.
- Pat the area with the water towel to get the last remains of the hydrogen peroxide.
- To top it all off, pat the area with a dry towel and let it airdry.
Like I said before, makeup can be extremely difficult to remove. Usually though, you should avoid scrubbing stained areas and take it gently with the cleaning process.